Clear Ceramic Braces
Clear ceramic braces are a practical alternative to traditional braces, offering the same smile-enhancing benefits without the noticeable look of metal.
Just like traditional braces, clear ceramic braces feature two important components: First, a clear or tooth-colored bracket is attached to each tooth. Next, we thread a tooth-colored wire through the brackets. The brackets may be made of a variety of ceramic and composite materials, but you will usually hear us refer to them as “ceramic”. Please Note: because these materials are more brittle and sensitive to breakage than stainless steel, a lighter force is used on your teeth during treatment, which may result in a slightly longer treatment time.
Care for ceramic braces is the same as with traditional braces:
- Elastics must be worn at all times and changed daily in order to maintain a consistent force on the teeth.
- Hard, sticky, chewy or crunchy foods must be avoided during treatment time.
- Soreness is normal for several days following the placement of new braces and adjustment appointments. Gargling salt water and over-the-counter pain medications cab help to relieve soreness.
- Braces and wires should be brushed and flossed after each meal.
- Special mouth guards should be worn during sports play.
- If you feel any sharp pain or a sore develops on the soft tissues of your mouth, call us so that we can remedy the situation as soon as possible.
More information is available, please visit our Living with Braces page or give us a call.